Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Don't play small

There are many authors we love and their words guide us at times. I love many of them but this one passage always stands out for me and as a South African citizen it has special meaning to me.



I use it as one of my rules to live by:







"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, "who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?" Actually who are you not to be?







You are a child of God. Your Playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory that is within us. And as we let our light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."







- Marianne Williamson







(Nelson Mandela used this passage in his 1994 Inaugural Speech)

1 comment:

Ermano said...

This is a great quote.
I researched it online and found that
Nelson Mandela never used in any of his speeches.
Here is an article about it:
www.newsobserver.com/667/story/436158.html
The quote is worth reading again.