Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Hello, meaning making machine...YES, YOU!

I am present to a prevailing truth that is the cause of all suffering.

A course in December made this truth abundantly clear, we are meaning making machines.
We attach meaning to everything and then live our lives as if that meaning is true and real.
That lady in the mall looked at me with a peculiar gleam in her eyes....And our meaning making machine clicks into operation and...."I knew I shouldn't have worn this dress, it makes me look fat and she just saw that, or my hair is a mess and that's why she gave me that look...."
In her world she did not even see you, she was so absorbed in her world of reasoning. She was thinking about the last words her husband said to her and what that meant and the way her child whined when she dropped her at school. She was thinking about being a better wife and mother.

We make up meanings to everything that happens in our life and the meanings we attach are usually to validate our flaws and doubts. And then we try and change who we are or how we operate. We are all pretty self involved and seem to always look at the world and ourselves as if something is wrong here. What would happen if we didn't add meaning to everything, would we suffer less, or if we are going to make up meanings to everything, could it be positive uplifting ones,...would that end our suffering?
I still think if we were not meaning making machines we would suffer less.

What happens, happens and truly doesn't mean anything until we add meaning to it and start our own reasoning, what ifs etc.

I am creating the possibility of mindfulness and love filling the spaces of meaning. I chose to be aware and catch my meaning making machine (that's me) in action and stop the spiral of needless suffering.

This blog also doesn't mean anything. I am not saying you are right or wrong, I am just observing the reflections of the world around me.


No comments: